Full Job Description
Backwoods Energy is seeking Highly Experienced Foreman to work on projects outside of Edmonton
Backwoods Energy Services is 100% Indigenous-owned and provides construction services to the oil, gas, and utility industries in north-western Alberta. We are the one of the largest Indigenous community owned companies in Alberta and focus on building lasting client relationships with a commitment to safety excellence and quality service. Our business consists of five operating divisions: Civil Works and Clearing, Environmental Services, Pipeline and Integrity Maintenance, Matting Supply and Installation and Security Services. Our mission is to drive economic opportunity by empowering Indigenous people and communities.
This site-based role will report into the Superintendent and will require the ability to lead a crew with a positive attitude and demeanor. The successful candidate will exhibit an in-depth knowledge of equipment (both operation and proper maintenance) as well as utilize strong construction knowledge to manage job site and coordinate daily activities.
- Oversee, supervise, and manage crew, including equipment operators and labourers
- Effectively plan and supervise crews on a task basis
- Assign work to employees, based on material and worker requirements of specific jobs
- Ensure schedules and timelines are met
- Ensure equipment is maintained at the highest standards, in a timely manner
- Promote, execute, and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees and subcontractors to adopt safety as a culture
- Read blueprints and specifications to determine construction requirements and to plan procedures and methodology
- Identifies manpower requirements for the project and makes recommendation to Superintendent & Project Manager
- Confer with the Superintendent to resolve problems and to coordinate activities
- Work with Superintendent to plan daily tasks and implement plan with the crew
- Recommends equipment replacement, addition, deletion, modifications and ensure that required maintenance is completed
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience supervising earthworks crews, managing job sites, and coordinating daily activities
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience operating heavy equipment, such as a dozer and 30 Ton Excavator
- In depth knowledge of grade control and earth moving productions
- In depth knowledge of construction procedures, equipment and OHS guidelines
- Excellent organizational and leadership with the ability to communicate and report effectively
- Software is heavily used within the organization processes; the candidate must have strong computer skills and have a history of working within software programs such as: Microsoft Excel & Microsoft Word
- Experience conducting daily & weekly safety meetings
- An understanding of project cost coding and quantity tracking
- Experience with creating daily toolbox and performing site safety inspections
- Experience filling out a detailed daily foreman report and time sheet for the crew
- Experience managing crews ranging from 2 to 20 members
- A Valid Class 5 driver’s license and reliable vehicle to commute to/from job sites
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and grade stakes
- Recognizes and understands the safe operation of heavy equipment and material handling
- A positive attitude and the ability to work well with others.
- Must have Construction Safety Training Systems (CSTS-09) Certificate, WHMIS 2015, First Aid, Ground Disturbance Level II and Leadership for Safety Excellence
Key Performance Indicators
- Safety stats that reflect a zero-incident goal
- Best-in-class project execution – on time, on budget, incorporates our mission to engage members of the Indigenous community
- Equipment is maintained and returned without unreported damage
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume directly to our website: backwoodsenergy.ca/careers
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Job Types: Full-time, Seasonal
Salary: From $38.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
- Our mission is to drive economic opportunity by empowering Indigenous people and communities. Do you identify as part of one of the following Indigenous groups: Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation, another First Nation, Métis, or Inuit? If so, which? This is not a mandatory question and if you prefer to not disclose this information, you may leave this field blank.
- If you were referred by a Backwoods Employee, please indicate the name of the referring employee in the space provided.
- Pipeline Labour: 2 years (required)
- CSTS 2020 or equivalent (preferred)
- Ground disturbance 201 or Supervisory Ground Disturbance (preferred)
- H2S Alive (preferred)
- Standard First Aid with CPR (required)
Work Location: On the road