Alberta Blue Cross® is an Alberta based organization dedicated to delivering exceptional customer experience and community leadership. We’re committed to providing the best health coverage to over 1.8 million members and take an active role in promoting wellness. We believe in what we do—and place trust in our employees to deliver our vision.
Working at Alberta Blue Cross® means having a career where you’ll be recognized for your contributions. We value diversity, encourage our employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance and provide opportunities for career growth.
Alberta Blue Cross has an immediate opening for a Building Operator to join our team. Reporting to the Director, Facilities Management, the Building Operator will support the Facilities team by providing building and ground maintenance, troubleshooting and performing repairs, and fostering solid working relationships with internal and external customers. In this role, you will be required to support our employees through a variety of tasks based off their workstyle needs.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Operate building automation system, HVAC systems and be familiar with closed water treatment systems.
- Troubleshoot and perform repairs to prevent equipment or system failures.
- Perform basic plumbing, carpentry, electrical and appliance repairs as needed.
- Perform regular interior and exterior inspections of buildings and identify and rectify any general maintenance issues such as lamp replacement, litter pickup, sweeping, mopping, washroom maintenance.
- Ensure life safety systems are operating efficiently (emergency generator, fire alarm systems, elevators, etc.).
- Carry out planned preventive maintenance and fire safety programs.
- Maintain maintenance logs of all equipment.
- Respond to service requests with prompt responsiveness, follow up, and effective communication.
- Maintain grounds, including landscaping and snow removal.
- Assist with managing annual budgets and forecasts.
- Assist with other building related job duties as required.
- Work with third party contractors to obtain costs and estimates for various work, ensure compliance with building codes and regulations, and assist and monitor contractors as required.
WHAT YOU WILL HAVE:
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- A curious thinker; bringing new and innovative ideas forward.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Capacity to perform physical work.
- Experience in working simultaneously on a wide range of projects.
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and solid attention to detail.
- Industry knowledge would be considered an asset.
- Have a valid 5th Class Power Engineer Certificate of Competency.
- Basic knowledge of plumbing and fixture repairs.
- Basic knowledge of building electrical systems and emergency power backup generators.
- Availability to respond 24 hours a day when scheduled for on-call rotation.
- A driver's license with a clean abstract is required.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective listening skills.
- Proven collaboration skills that enable positive and beneficial working relationships.
- Efficient understanding and experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Working knowledge of general workplace safety practices.
- Ability to handle emergencies and deal with events effectively with limited support and supervision is essential.
- Well organized and driven towards teamwork and organizational success.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
Alberta Blue Cross® is an inclusive employer committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We empower and are advocates for our employees by welcoming, respecting and valuing their unique perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the opportunity to work in an innovative, high-energy team-focused environment. If you have the qualifications we are looking for, please apply.