About QuadReal Property Group
QuadReal Property Group is a global real estate investment, operating and development company headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia. Its assets under management total $67.1 billion. From its foundation in Canada as a full-service real estate operating company, QuadReal has expanded its capabilities to invest in equity and debt in both the public and private markets. QuadReal invests directly, via programmatic partnerships and through operating companies in which it holds an ownership interest.
QuadReal seeks to deliver strong investment returns while creating sustainable environments that bring value to the people and communities it serves. Now and for generations to come.
QuadReal: Excellence lives here.
The primary objective of the Operations Manager role is to ensure that the assigned property is being managed and maintained in a safe and environmentally responsible manner and to the highest level of operational efficiency. Reporting to the Vice President & General Manager, Office, Edmonton, the Operations Manager is responsible for providing administrative, operational, and technical service and support to Commerce Place, a mixed-use Office & Retail complex in downtown Edmonton along with the Forestry & Labor Buildings.
- Manage the activities of all direct reports to ensure the timely achievement of property and organization goals, within prescribed policies, procedures, and standard business practices.
- Responsible for the operation and preventive maintenance of all building systems including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, elevating devices, structural systems and building life safety equipment and systems.
- In coordination with the Asset & Property Management teams, develop and maintain annual operating and capital budgets and 5-year plans that will maintain, enhance, and operate the property in a first class manner.
- Authorize and process all operation expenses, within approved guidelines, ensuring appropriate allocation of expenses and that the Property remains within prescribed budget guidelines.
- Lead the team in providing the highest levels of customer service to all those with whom they interact, whether internal or external, with the goal of continuously improving the customer experience.
- Manage consultants and contractors to ensure each project is completed on time, within budget, and according to established specifications.
- Tenant improvement work; review and approve tenant design documentation, attend tenant site meetings and general supervision of tenant construction.
- Ensure contractual obligations for all Service Contracts & Agreements are carried out in accordance with corporate policies & procedures and guidelines, and that the terms of agreement and project deliverables meet applicable code requirements and regulations.
- Ensure the property is consistently inspected, improved upon, and maintained to manage risk and improve the useful life of major building components and systems.
- Support, implement, and champion property sustainability programs and initiatives; familiar with LEED EB O&M, BOMA BEST, and Fitwell requirements.
- Support the Asset & Property Management teams in evaluating and developing business cases for capital improvements to enhance property value and performance.
- Participate and actively engage in technical and sustainability stakeholder networks to stay well informed of new developments and technologies.
- Collaborate with team leads and provide insight, knowledge and perspective regarding the overall structure and strategy of the operational excellence programs within QuadReal.
- Focus on achieving service enhancements and operating cost efficiencies through operational excellence and energy conservation initiatives without compromising overall client satisfaction.
- A commitment to excellence and best practice in energy and waste minimization. Ensure compliance to all EHS regulatory and corporate standards.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum 10+ years building operations experience with at least 5 years in a supervisory/management role in a commercial real estate environment; ideally in positions of increasing responsibility and within properties of complex scope. Experience in Commercial Office/Retail buildings is preferred.
- Related post-secondary degree or diploma relative to the position i.e. Certified Engineering Technologist, Technical Trades, 3rd or 4th Class Power Engineering Certificate (or equivalent). In addition, a high level of design and construction knowledge as well as technical industry knowledge is required.
- Professional accreditation/certification in FMA, SMA, SMT (BOMI) or equivalent is a definite asset.
- Knowledge of complex building systems including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, DDC controls, fire protection and building envelope components.
- Constantly focused on innovation and leveraging technology to enhance how we operate our buildings through effective operational strategies, cost efficiencies, and energy optimization.
- Intimate knowledge of Operational Technology, connectivity/convergence of building system networks and Digital Innovation.
- Familiar and knowledgeable of applicable Building, Fire, and Safely Codes, municipal property standard By-laws, ASHRAE standards, etc.
- Proficiency in continuous improvement methodologies and an ability to impart and share knowledge in these streams through training and effective leadership
- Demonstrated record of successfully managing major capital projects
- Excellent communication skills and ability to navigate multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Able to communicate effectively and professionally, both oral and written; able to develop and sustain cooperative working relationships with senior management, contractors, tenants, and the public.
- Able to resolve problems using facts and sound reasoning; able to achieve goals using a strategic approach; proven innovation with a willingness to manage and adapt to change.
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize workflow in a fast-paced environment to ensure deadlines and deliverables are consistently met.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suites, familiarity with Yardi would be an asset.
QuadReal Property Group will provide reasonable accommodation at any time throughout the hiring process for applicants with disabilities or for those needing job postings in an alternate format. If you require accommodation, please advise the Talent Acquisition team member you are working with and include the following: Job posting #, your name and your preferred method of contact.
Want to learn about our end-to-end recruitment process? Click this link for a short video that will take you through each step, so you’ll know exactly what to expect.