WSP is seeking a creative Junior Landscape Architectural Technologist with foundational technical skills and enthusiasm for Landscape Architecture. If you are looking to grow your career, take on more responsibility and have multifaceted project experience with very competitive compensation then this is a great opportunity for you. With highly experienced intermediate and senior staff and a broad network of support nationally you will be exposed to plenty of mentorship and training opportunities.
This position is based in Edmonton. Although a global company, we are a relationship driven business that focuses on a work life balance – a key factor in our hybrid work environment.
We serve the private, public, and institutional sectors on a wide range of projects across Canada with a focus on environmentally responsible, socially conscious high-quality design. You will be involved in a wide range of projects, from small to large scales, with exposure through from conceptual design to contract administration. Our areas of focus include urban revitalization, master planning, urban and regional parks, public spaces and plazas, complete streets, multi-use trails, transit facilities, infrastructure, commercial, institutional, land development and ecologically based landscapes. You bring a curious mindset and thoughtful, collaborative approach to design.
A day in the life:
- Working closely with intermediate and senior Landscape Architects, Designers and Technologists.
- Preparation of base plans, conceptual designs and construction-level drawings and specifications.
- Assist in providing landscape design work including detail design services; cost estimating; contract document preparation; tender and contract administration services (including inspection and construction management during project life).
- Supporting the development of planting designs and layouts.
- Supporting the development of visualizations and graphics.
- Opportunity for an accelerated career development through project experience and responsibilities
What You'll Bring To WSP ...
- A Diploma as a Landscape Architectural Technologist or similar relevant education.
- 0-3 years of professional experience working in Landscape Architecture.
- Skills in AutoCAD production is required, knowledge of the assembly of construction documentation packages, material selection, specifications and cost estimating within a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Expertise in Excel, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and other standard software packages.
- Keen understanding of the technical execution of a detail drawing set.
- Excellent written, verbal communications skills and growing interpersonal skills with the ability to coordinate and communicate with various professional disciplines.
- Preliminary experience in construction management support, production of contract documents, and supporting the contract administration process is preferred. Field experience is an asset.
- Foundational organizational skills with the ability to work independently as well as work closely with team members on multiple project tasks.
- An enthusiastic and collaborative mindset with a desire to work in a team setting to find creative solutions that are technically sound.
- A valid driver’s license to conduct site reviews and attend client meetings.
The following qualifications are strongly desired:
- Membership in the AALA or reciprocity eligible (Student AALA membership will also be considered).
- Experience on a variety of landscape architecture projects in Alberta will be considered an asset.
- Experience in supporting or leading the preparation of large, complex project drawing sets is an asset.
- Experience in contract administration and construction coordination will be considered an asset.
- Background in public and/or institutional sectors will also be considered an asset.
- Supporting project coordination / project management experience is an asset.
- Experience in supporting the preparation of specifications is an asset.
- Proficiency in MicroStation, Civil3D, SketchUp, Revit, Rhino and GIS are assets.
- ISA Certification is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken French is an asset.
- Vehicle is required.
We request applicants submit a RESUME AND PORTFOLIO (PDF or website link) highlighting relevant work experience. Please limit PDF files to 10MB