The Technician is responsible for the handling, consolidating and processing of hazardous and non-hazardous waste materials received by the Processing Facilities. The Technician must display a focus on safety and efficiency in a team environment while performing moderately labour intensive and repetitious tasks.
Be Part of the Environmental Solution! We are looking for a 5th Class Power Engineer to join our Processing Plant in South Edmonton!
Processing Facility Operator
GFL’s plant operators are leaders in safety and efficient operating practices. You will be accountable for day-to-day facility operations, ensuring that all equipment and systems are being operated to GFL standards. Using your technical expertise, you will conduct operations relevant to the optimization of
- Loading and offloading products and waste as required.
- Heavy Equipment operation as required: Wheel loaders, forklifts, skid steer, and Vac Truck.
- Sampling and testing petroleum & chemical products.
- Analyzing and recording production data and maintaining logs.
- Operates, monitors and controls process levels, temperatures, pressures and flows for applicable utilities, processes, and systems in a safe and efficient manner.
- Actively participates in safety meetings, identifies, and reports all incidents, and assists in investigations.
- Responsible for boiler operation, testing and maintenance.
- Ensures that required documentation is provided timely, accurate and legible.
- Maintains safe and clean equipment and work area.
- Acquires and maintains required certifications as needed.
- Performs emergency operations activities as needed.
- Ensures quality control of finished products as required.
- Ensures proper segregation of waste to enhance quality and to optimize processing costs.
- Follows Environment, Health and Safety policies, procedures, and all environmental protocols and requirements.
- Performs other operational duties as assigned.
Experience, Qualifications & Education
- 5Th Class Power Engineering Certification of Competency or higher.
- A minimum of 1 year or relevant industrial/ Oilfield experience is required.
- Knowledge of chemical properties and petrochemical processes.
- Knowledge of the trucking industry, its people and equipment.
- Air brakes, Class 3 or higher are an asset but not required.
- Available to work 8 or 12hr shifts (possible night shifts) as required.
- Ability to work independently and under minimal supervision.
- Available to be on-call in rotation and respond to plant related issues immediately when on-call.
- Physically capable of meeting the requirements of the position which includes shoveling, moving/lifting heavy items, extensive walking, climbing stairs and or changes in physical tasks assigned.
- Ability to perform troubleshooting assessments of problems, e.g.-addresses safety related issues, mechanical issues or process related situations that may require immediate attention.
- Able to complete facility inspections.
- Communicates effectively with transparency, both written and verbal.
- Willing to be trained in unfamiliar processes and equipment within established guidelines and regulatory compliance.
- Effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office and other computer systems would be considered an asset (other programs are beneficial)
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
GFL Environmental is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply. We seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences. GFL will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.