Job Description Summary
Responsible to ensure the efficient operation and maintenance of mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment and systems for the assigned property(s). Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) maintaining a clean and safe working environment, performing rounds, conducting routine assessments, performance of day-to-day preventive and corrective maintenance, painting, and housekeeping for assigned properties
Under the direction of the Property Manager, operates and assists in the repair and maintenance of the equipment and building systems towards the objective of peak efficiency resulting in maximum tenant and customer comfort.
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- 5th Class Power Engineering Certificate
- BES I and II Diploma
- 3-5+ years of Direct Work Experience in a Building Operator position in Commercial Office and Mixed Use Operations
Essential Functions And Responsibilities
- Assist in the operation and daily inspection of all building maintenance, HVAC, mechanical, electrical, telecommunication, life safety and lifting device equipment to ensure efficient performance. Performs minor repairs and adjustments as needed.
- Assists in the daily tests and maintains records for chemical treatment of all fluid systems.
- Assist in the monitoring of chilled, condenser, steam and hot water systems, checking pressure and temperature gauges.
- Changing filters in the fluid and air handling systems.
- Monitor the Energy Management System and make adjustments as necessary.
- Assist with the maintenance and control of wet and dry sprinkler systems. Co-ordinate with the Security Team, monitoring company and contractors in draining and refilling sprinkler systems as required.
- Test run emergency generator as per schedule.
- Assist with the monitoring and control of all life safety equipment including the fire alarm and sprinkler systems, fire hydrants, standpipe connections, fire doors, etc.
- Answer all tenant calls regarding heating, cooling problems & building emergencies (i.e. water leaks); co-ordinate same with the tenant to ensure proper repair is being completed on a timely basis.
- Assist in the seasonal shutdown/start-up of heating systems, chillers and cooling towers.
- Assist in the winterizing of all common area air-handling units including draining and anti-freeze treatment.
- Assist in the cleaning of return air grills for air-handling units.
- Maintain an accurate log of daily activities while on shift.
- Be available for on call and weekend duties.
- Work a rotating shift set out by the Chief Engineer or Operations Supervisor.
- Respond to after hour emergencies and contact secondary help in a timely manner.
- Communicate all emergency situations to the security desk and supervisor ASAP
SPECIFIC SECONDARY RESPNSIBILITIES
- Record makeup water meter readings & utility consumption for those with check meters
- Performs minor building repairs incl. electrical, plumbing, door repairs, furniture, etc.
- Works with contractors on scheduled diagnostic and periodic legislative tests/inspections of building systems and related equipment to ensure reliability.
- Organize and maintain operations storage and workshop area.
- Studies and reports on new technology, which may make his area more efficient or cost effective.
- Assist in coordinating and supervising all contracts and contractors as outlined by Chief Engineer or Operations Supervisor.
- Perform and supervise all minor tasks as requested by the Chief Engineer or Operations Supervisor, which directly or indirectly affects the operations of the properties.
- ABSA Fifth (5TH) class Operator’s certificate and a minimum of 2 to 5 years of directly related hands on experience.
- Mechanically inclined with the ability to operate, perform Preventative Maintenance on and trouble shoot if reactive maintenance is required including: HVAC, electrical, fire alarm panels, Sprinkler Systems, Emergency power generators, Waste Compactor equipment, etc. And read related drawings.
- Familiar with automated preventative maintenance programs and has basic keyboarding skills
- Familiar with Provincial Health & Safety Legislation (i.e. WHMIS, Occupational H&S Act).
- Physically fit enabling reasonable lifting, pushing, pulling, climbing and walking.
- Ability to work independently on certain tasks and with other team members for tasks requiring more than 1 person.
- Ability to prioritize workload.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills dealing with tenants, service contractors and suppliers.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings.
- Ability to work a 40 hour week;
- Preference will be given to those with experience using TRANE, Siemens and/or Honeywell automation systems.
- Must be bondable and able to present a clean criminal clearance check.
- On call for emergencies on a rotational basis
- Familiarity with Green building rating systems and associated duties: LEED-EB, BOMA Best or equivalent;
- Familiarity with energy management best practices associated program requirements;
- Communication Proficiency (oral and written)
- Interpersonal Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Technical Proficiency
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Vocational/Technical training certificate
- Appropriate license/permit for trade as may be required, i.e. Journeyman or Master Electrician License or City Licenses
- Universal Technician for CFC’s depending on market licensure requirements
- Basic financial knowledge necessary for reading and understanding budgets, budget variances and basic reporting as required by management
- Familiar with Energy Management System (EMS)/programming and Fire Alarm Systems
- Advanced Computing Skills in Outlook, Excel & Word
- Familiarity with Angus or other preventative maintenance software
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others and exchange accurate information; operate a computer and other office productivity machinery; move about the workplace; remain in a stationary position for 30-40% of the time; and extend hands and arms in any direction.
Experience in sustainability or environmental science. Demonstrates a good understanding in sustainable property management must express a proven interest in sustainability or environmental science and measure the sites sustainability performance. They will be responsible for coordinating a variety of projects, ideas and sustainable strategies and assess any operational inefficiency within the assigned portfolio. Familiarity with Green building rating systems and associated duties: LEED-EB, WELL Building Standard, GRESB, BOMA BEST or equivalent.
Cushman & Wakefield is committed to equity in employment and our goal is to have a diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free workplace. If you are a person with a disability and need the job posting in an alternative format or any other accessible accommodations during the hiring process, please email your request to HRServices@cushwake.com. Please refer to the job title and job location when you contact us.
Cushman & Wakefield is committed to equity in employment and our goal is to have a diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free workplace. If you are a person with a disability and need the job posting in an alternative format or any other accessible accommodations during the hiring process, please email your request to email@example.com. Please refer to the job title and job location when you contact us.Cushman & Wakefield s’engage à respecter l’équité en matière d’emploi. Notre objectif est d’offrir un milieu de travail diversifié, inclusif et exempt d’obstacles. Si vous êtes une personne handicapée et que vous avez besoin de recevoir l’offre d’emploi dans un autre format ou d’accéder à toute autre mesure d’adaptation au cours du processus d’embauche, veuillez soumettre votre demande par courriel à firstname.lastname@example.org. Veuillez mentionner le titre de poste et le lieu de travail au moment de communiquer avec nous.